Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Spice it up ~ Organizing your spice drawer!


I get such a rush from organizing things.
I love uniformity and organization.
I should qualify this by saying,
you would never know this by visiting my home. 

This is a project that has been simmering on my back burner for ages.
My intention was to use baby food jars for this project. 
 A dear friend Rachel saved me a big bag of them. 
 However it has been awhile since I used baby food, and I didn't remember
them being quite so small.  They just wouldn't be large enough
to hold the contents of one of those yellow packages you see below.



Then I remembered the cute little squatty (is that a word?)
jars I used when I made body lotion last fall.






I was unable to find any more of these particular jars
 until just a few weeks ago.
Yay for a new canning season! :)

SUPPLIES LIST:
3 cases of jars
chalkboard paint
small disposable paint brush
piece of chalk
spices



I gave all the lids one coat of chalkboard paint.
I washed the jars, and dried them well.  
Anything that was too old was disposed of.
Next, all the spices were emptied
 from the jars, packages, and small cans
into their beautiful new homes!


I let the lids dry overnight to ensure they were not tacky,
and labeled each with chalk.
This is such a great way to label them.
If you want to change the contents of the jar,
you can easily change the label.






Ahhhhhh, so much better!  :)


One word of advice:  Do yourself a favor and purchase a regular sized piece of chalk.  You know... like your school teacher used to use.  I used a great big sidewalk chalk and it was very hard to print with it on this small surface.  ;0)



Now as summer winds down, and we usher in my favorite season of all, I will be stocking up on those herbs and spices that have been running low.  I usually do a thorough check of my spice draw in preparation for those wonderful recipes that I associate with fall.  Can you smell the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice in those pumpkin recipes?  Oh my!


Tanya

Joining:
Tutorials, Tips & Tidbits
Let's Dish
Friday's Unfolded
Show & Tell Friday
Creative Me
Inspiration Friday
Foodie Friday
Tip Me Tuesday

11 comments:

  1. Great job, Tanya. I am organizing here too, takes forever it seems. I think your printing turned out nicely. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Thanks so much for sharing, your drawer looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, what is the black patterned thing on the bottom of the drawer? Is is something to keep the jars from sliding around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, it is two black felt placemats.

      I used them in a tablescape here if you would like to see them.

      http://lisatakesix.blogspot.com/2011/10/tangled-web.html

      Delete
  4. NOt only are you creative, but you are brilliant!!!! I just love this idea! Your drawer is so neat and tidy! I am going to be a copy cat on this one!!!!
    Thanks so much for joining TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS with your great DYI!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a smart idea! So much better than placing them on a shelf where it's much more difficult to see everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just gave me a GREAT idea!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!!!!!!!!! This looks amazing! So inspiring!

    Your newest fan,
    Kelly at Smart! School {House}
    http://www.facebook.com/SmartSchoolHouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute idea! I need to get my spices organized too. Thanks!
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever is this! I love the idea and the organization!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Just wanted to let you know that I will be featuring this project on the front page of looksisquare.com (a new submission-based website) for my Looksi Takeover day featuring my favorite mason jar projects from around blog land! :) The project will link back to your site. I hope you will check us out and maybe even submit a few projects as well!

    Sincerely,
    Evey

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover