Thursday, August 2, 2012

This Week In The Garden

We are on vacation this week and just came home from a few days in the country.  Since that is where our vegetable garden is, I am able to putter in it every day while we are there.  I'm the type that feels a bit restricted and "all thumbs" when I'm wearing gardening gloves.  So let's just say, it's probably a good thing you can't see my fingernails right now.    ;)

Most things in our garden are doing great.  Here's what we did this week:

  1.  Picked a truckload of green and yellow beans - still lots to go!
  2.  Picked the remainder of our main row of peas
  3.  Pulled the pea vines out and composted them
  4.  Picked the remainder of the broccoli
  5.  Pulled the broccoli plants and composted them
  6.  Weeded this morning after it rained
  7.  Helped my Handyman build a support for our tomatoes & cucs
       (It's a good thing he enjoys this as much as I do)  ;)
  8.  Fertilized the watermelon, zucchini, pumpkins & squash
  9.  Thinned the beats by picking a bunch to bottle
10.  I also followed the Victory Gardener's advice and picked off the bottom 6" of leaves of our brussel sprout stock.  He says if you do that once you see the little sprouts beginning, then more energy will go into forming the sprouts faster.  Once you pick those bottom sprouts, pick off more leaves up another 6" and your second harvest will mature faster.  Have you tried this before?  I'd love to know.





Here's what some of our garden looked like yesterday. 
Come and take a walk with me!





We have hundreds of tomatoes.  I'm getting a little impatient for some red ones!  Every single one is still green.  Has anyone ever planted some of the different color tomatoes?  I planted some "Lemon Boy" this year.  Looking forward to some yellow tomatoes too!  



I think I'm going to have to pull this turnip before too long.  It's been calling out to me as I walk by.  I love them raw, cut up like carrot sticks as much as I do cooked.



When we planted zucchini seeds this spring, I made a promise to myself.  No baseball bat sized zucchini's.  I brought one home yesterday that is about 10" long.  That's the biggest one yet.  



The squash is blooming!  We planted Buttercup and Acorn!


Lots of onions! 
 We planted some onions from seeds in among the big onions. 
 The perfect size for using as green onion.


The green beans are still blooming!


I bottled some of the beans I picked this week!
  First time to use a pressure cooker!
  My baby sister, Paula, gave me a crash course!


Lest you think everything is wonderful in the garden...



Our cabbages all look like Swiss Cheese.  :(


Beautiful pepper plants...but no blossoms, or peppers!  :(



Some blight on our potatoes.  No blossoms.  No potatoes underneath.  :(


*Sigh*






This is what I picked before we left for home yesterday.  The beets are bottled already, and today my daughter, Jenna, grated the zucchini and we made 2 Zucchini chocolate chip loaves.  The zucchini in the picture yielded 2C of grated flesh.  I guess the Chocolate zucchini cake, and Lemon zucchini loaf will wait for the next zucchini!!

Thanks for walking with me.  Wishing you a great week in your garden!

Tanya

4 comments:

  1. You and your family are harvesting a wonderful bounty, thanks to all your effort. Those zucchini recipes sound delish. I never had luck with peppers, some insect would always eat them before they were fully grown. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I was tired before I was halfway through your list! Would love to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great fun you're having! Things taste so much better right out of the garden. Our garden is much smaller, but we've been enjoying snow peas, green and yellow beans. My tomatoes are still green too, but it's still early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tanya,
    What a beautiful harvest you are having...the weather seems to be perfect for your vegetable garden. Your beets look amazing! It is so nice to grow your own. Will you have one next year?
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover