These muffins are a great gluten free option. They are made with coconut flour, which has a fairly mild coconut taste. They can be made with blueberries or raspberries or chocolate chips. Because coconut flour isn't standard (I think the amount of moisture may vary somewhat), I tried to compensate for this with the amount of water or coconut milk. I always double this but use only 5 eggs, instead of 6. I put all wet ingredients into the blender, including banana.
· 3 eggs (room temperature - important)
· 1/3 cup coconut flour
· ¼ cup melted butter
· ½ teaspoon vanilla
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· ¼ cup sugar substitute equivalent (liquid preferred) I use Agave Nectar
· ½ teaspoon baking powder
· 2-5 Tablespoons water or coconut milk if needed (see below)
· ½ cup raspberries or blueberries or chocolate chips
· 1/2 mashed banana (very pureed)
· Small amount of orange rind zest and a squeeze of orange juice
Heat oven to 375° F. Prepare pan with a generous amount of butter or muffin paper liners. This recipe makes six "regular"-sized muffins.
1) Whisk or beat the eggs or put into blender until whites and yolks are well mixed and add softened butter. Add salt and vanilla and mix until combined. If using liquid sweetener (preferred, as it is zero carb), add at this point. Add orange zest, orange juice and banana and blend well.
2) Mix the remaining dry ingredients -- coconut flour, baking soda, and sweetener if using powder.
3) Mix the dry and wet ingredients together. Now you will mix in water, one tablespoon at a time. The coconut flour will absorb the liquid from the wet ingredients like crazy. You want to get it to a consistency that will hold up the berries, but not is too thick. I usually end up using about 4 Tablespoons of water.
4) Gently mix in the berries and divide among 6 muffin cups. Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until just turning golden on top but cooked through.
Nutritional Information (using raspberries, zero carb sweetener, and an average of three available coconut flours): Each muffin has 2 grams effective carbohydrate plus 3.5 grams fiber, 4 grams protein, and 132 calories.