Monday, December 5, 2011

Take Six Fruit Cake

I had never made fruitcake, until yesterday.  I'm not sure why, but I thought it was difficult and that I wouldn't be able to do it on my own.  So I ask my mother to give me a "Fruit Cake Lesson".  She was only too happy to.  (Even though she is retired...once a teacher, always a teacher!)  We got out her recipe and bought the ingredients.  She asked me to mix up the fruit the day before so the flavors would all come together.  



Take Six Fruit Cake

Mix all fruit in a large bowl the day before:
2C currents
2 ozs walnuts
1/2 C candied red cherries
1/2 C candied green cherries
1/2 C dates (chopped)
1/2 C mixed peel
4 C raisins
1/2 C candied pineapple (chopped)
1/2 C figs (chopped)
Stir, cover and set aside for the next day.  (I have a severe nut allergy, so I omitted the walnuts.)

Cream 1 C brown sugar, 1C butter, add 4 eggs, add the juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange.  Mix 2 tsp of instant coffee with a little water to dissolve, and add to sugar/butter mixture. 

In a separate bowl mix: 2 C flour, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp mace, 1 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp cloves, 1 tsp baking soda.  Add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  Mix well, and add fruit.  Stir fruit in by hand.  Put batter in pans.  I pressed cherries into the batter for decoration.  Whole almonds would be pretty too.  This makes the equivalent of 2 loaf pans.  I like to use small round pans.  Line your pans with parchment and grease the parchment.  Cook @ 325.  I used small 4" pie pans and they cooked for 65 min. Loaf pans would take much longer.



After baking in the oven.


Gift wrapped and ready for giving!
Next year I'm planning on making a larger batch!

9 comments:

  1. These look delicious! What a yummy gift idea. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those ingredients are so pretty and your pictures show them well. We are lucky to have moms who know how to cook and enjoy sharing their knowledge. I talk to so many young people who say their mom didn't cook much when they were little. Your fruitcake will be a welcomed gift to some lucky people. Making the individual cakes is a very good idea and they look cute. ---------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tanya,

    They look great, love the individual size perfect for gift giving...
    I will have to try this making this, you made it look so easy! I have never made fruit cake either...
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so yummy and would make the perfect gift! Thanks so much for sharing at the Christmas in July Party!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet dish to share. They are the perfect size for gift giving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want one too!!! Wow, they look delish and what a great thing to share for the holidays. Thank you for visitng me sweet friend. Many blessings for you and yuours this Christmas season.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks awesome! There must be different recipes and that's why you thought it was more complicated. I remember my godmother soaking the fruit in kirsch or something like that for weeks before making fruitcake. I always thought it was super complicated!! Thanks for the lesson :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not been this thrilled by a blog post for quite some time! You’ve got it, whatever that means in blogging. Anyway, You’re definitely someone that has something to say that people should hear.
    Restaurant bars in singapore

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover