Thursday, January 24, 2013

Bread Machine Bagels~Paula

Everyone loves bagels, but
have you ever made your own?
Not me...until yesterday!
I found the recipe on a blog,
but it was originally posted on the
allrecipes.com website.
Don't they look delicious?
Believe me...they sure were,
and very easy to make.

Tanya took one look,
 and asked begged me to share
this recipe with you all.
It's definitely a keeper. 
I hope you love it too.  :)


Enjoy this Printable Recipe


Ingredients:

1 cup warm water
3 cups of bread flour
2 TBS white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
3 TBS sugar
1 TSP cornmeal
1 egg white

Toppings if you wish:  shredded asiago cheese, poppy seeds, dried onion flakes, rock salt, cinnamon sugar...

Directions:

1.  Put the first 5 ingredients, in the order listed, into your bread machine.  Set on Dough Cycle. When complete, place dough on a lightly floured surface. Shape into 8-10 balls, flatten them, and then poke hole in the middle.  (Make it big, because the dough will rise.)

2. Cover bagels with a clean dish towel, and let rise. I placed mine on a lightly floured cutting board, then in a barely warm oven with a bowl of hot water to rise.  Place a warm damp dish towel over them while they are rising. Mine rose for a full 60 min.  Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil.  Dissolve 3 Tbsp of sugar in the boiling water.

3. Sprinkle an ungreased cookie sheet with cornmeal.  Heat oven to 375. Transfer bagels to boiling water.  (My pot holds about 4 at a time.)  Boil for 1 minute, turning halfway through.  Remove bagels and place on dish towel to drain.

4. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze top with egg white. I used cracked pepper and finely grated old cheddar for my toppings.

5. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes. Mine took 30 minutes.

Enjoy!


~Paula

Edited to say:  PS.  If you don't have a bread maker...do not despair!  Read my reply below in the comments to see how I plan on making them next time without my bread maker!! :)

Foodie Friday
On The Menu Monday
In and Out of the Kitchen

5 comments:

  1. any suggestions on how to do this recipe without a bread maker? I don't have one (used it WAY too much for my own good when I did!), but my family loves bagels... would love to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda,

      I actually plan on not using my bread machine the next time I make these so that I can make a larger quantity...doubled batch would put some in the freezer and cover many more breakfasts.

      I intend to attempt it with the same steps I would for any yeast dough, I would bloom my yeast in the cup of warm water with one of the TBSP of sugar for about 5-10 min, add to it the other TSBP of sugar and salt and gradually add in the flour....probably 1 cup right off and then knead in the following 2 cups. The dough was very stiff I found when I got it out of the bread machine so I think it will be a good arm workout to get all 3 cups kneaded in probably a good 10 min or so. If you have a countertop mixer with a dough hook that might be the way to go with a single batch...let it be your muscle :)
      Let this dough rise for a good hour, I would put it in a barely warm oven with a dish of hot water for some humidity. Once risen then you are to the point your bread machine would be beeping to let you know the dough is ready. Hope this helps!

      ****I didn't mention this above in the post, but when your bagels have risen for 1 hour they do not completely double in size as a roll or bread does, but when you put them in the boiling water they do plump up some more.

      Delete
  2. This sounds wonderful and yours look delicious. I love bagels. I don't have a bread machine (no space) but I would give it a try. Thanks for the recipe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made bagels. These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE bagels and this looks so much easier than my recipe. I pinned it to try.
    Thank you for sharing with us at "In and Out of the Kitchen Link Up Party" with Feeding Big.
    Dawn
    http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover