Thursday, June 24, 2010

When two isn't enough...

In the last few months I have had the opportunity to travel by airplane, more than once. And I have had the opportunity to file missing baggage claims, more than once, as well.

My luggage seems to enjoy taking the long way home. Where as I enjoy a much more direct route. But thankfully, it's been the long way home as oppossed to arriving at my initial destination without... well, without the essentials. While Most of us can relate to having spare underware and socks at home, it is a bit different when we consider pulling those items out of our purse.

Did you know that the airlines have a special term for luggage that becomes lost? Actually, there is a whole language formed around baggage claims and luggage search parties. The term for lost luggage is "orphan". Interesting, huh?

And, did you know that if an airline employee from Point A, who preferrably loves to rescue orphans, is unable to connect with another airline employee at Point B, C or D, who also loves to rescue orphans - there is simply no hope of you or me ever seeing our luggage again. It will remain in the deep, dark bowels of some airport with all the other orphans.

I'm two for two now. Two airlines, two flights, two lost pieces of luggage, two moments of frustration, two returned pieces of luggage, two more moments of feeling guilty for feeling frustration, two opportunities to learn patience, gratitude and flexibility.

Oh dear... while I have learned to be very thankful for airline employees who love rescuing "orphans", I do feel a third opportunity coming on.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, is right!! I'm sure Cindy & Julie could add to this post re: orphan luggage. :-)

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover