Thursday, June 21, 2012

Andrew's Favorite Dessert



This is my husband's most favorite dessert.  It is one that his mother used to make.  I don't even think it has a name.  It is a scratch white cake with a warm butterscotch sauce.  


For Father's Day we were at our little spot in the country.  We BBQ'd with Andrew's dad.  The BBQ was not earth shattering:  steak, new potatoes, and corn on the cob.  However, the dessert was wonderful!!


Take Six White Cake
This is my favorite white cake recipe.  My cousin Janice shared it with me years ago.  I believe it to be one that has proved tried and true over several generations.  


3/4C Crisco
1 3/4C sugar
3 eggs
3C flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/4C milk
1 tsp vanilla


Cream the Crisco and sugar.  Add the eggs, one at a time.  In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.  I always put my vanilla in the milk and then alternately add wet and dry to the egg mixture.  


Bake @ 325 for 45min - 1 hour. 


Warm Butterscotch Sauce
2C brown sugar
2C corn syrup
2C light cream
8 tbsp butter
4 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt


Combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and cream in saucepan.  Cook over med heat, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 min.  Remove from heat - fold in butter, vanilla and salt.  Serve hot or cold.  Yield 4C  This is not a thick sauce.  The cake will actually soak some of it up.  It is delicious!



9 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. The warm sauce can be put on a lot of things. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Nanny makes it, it is so Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Id like to wash that down with a nice cup of coffee. Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. How simple and lovely! I like the serving dish very much too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why this is a favorite cake! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, a butterscotch sauce on top..... wonderful!! I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now how did you know that I've been searching for a white cake recipe. You made the Top 5 for Sweets for a Saturday with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how big of a pan,greased & floured?

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover