Monday, June 13, 2011

Antiquing. . .

On Saturday morning, my daughter Nicole and I, along with Lisa and Mom, began our adventure in the gorgeous sunshine, along the coast of Nova Scotia. Our first stop was at the store I mentioned last time - Rural Roots. It is a thrift/2nd hand type store and we took our time browsing. There are lots of great things there.

We kept driving and stopped at every place that peeked our interest. The next few stops were antique shops. Lisa and I are going to take turns showing you our treasures! Since I (Tanya) am typing the post, and since I'm the oldest, I get to go first. ;0)




I have started gathering a few double egg cups. I am collecting some different colors and plan to use them on my Easter table once I get enough for everyone in my family. So far I have three. The double egg cup became popular in the 1930's. I always thought that the smaller bowl was for a chicken egg, and the larger bowl for a larger egg. (turkey or duck, I guess) However, I have since learned that the larger bowl was used for a soft-boiled egg that was shelled. It was chopped, mixed with salt and pepper and eaten with a fork or spoon. A boiled egg still in its shell was placed in the smaller section. The tip was sliced off, and then the egg was eaten from the shell. As a child, I used to eat eggs this way at my maternal grandmothers!



Isn't she beautiful? I always think of teacups as "she". They are so pretty and dainty. I love pretty teacups. . . but I don't like tea!! Weird eh?


There is a story behind this dish pattern. . . but I'm saving it for another day. I have had some of this pattern for several years. In May, I got quite a bit more of it at "The Red Barn" antiques. Now THAT is a barn full of antiques!!! I found these two plates on Saturday. It is so much fun to hunt down the pieces you are looking for.



Red is my favorite color. So it would only make sense that red transfer ware was one of my favorite dishes. This pattern is called "Rose Bouquet", and it is my very first piece. It is an inexpensive pattern, and one that I could gather fairly quickly. However, I have been thinking that I might like to gather a table setting of several different patterns, for that mix and match look.

I hope you aren't all asleep, because it's Lisa's turn now!!




I'm a dish hound. This one was just too unique to leave on the shelf. Jam, sugar, candies, earrings, change... the list could go on. Most of all, though, seeing it will make me smile as I think it's so pretty. That's the thing about dishes - there is always another one that is just so pretty!




I absolutely love Mercury Glass. These ornaments will match garland strands of Mercury Glass beads that my maternal grandparents got as a wedding gift on June 23rd, 1929! (Sorry, I'd show you that as well, but it's all packed away)







Saw these on my way out the door of one antique store. I have Victorian looking ornaments for my Christmas tree that are of people skating... with skates that resemble these. But the real reason I bought this pair is because my dad had an old pair of ice skates. We gave them away YEARS ago, and I would give anything to have them back. I've looked for replacements for a long time now... to no avail. So, these skates were bought in memory of my dad's skates. I think I'll stop looking now.



Nope. . . we didn't pick up this treasure, but can't you just imagine it sitting in the kitchen of a cozy old Nova Scotia farmhouse? I bet it has cooked many meals for a hardworking family. Lots of holiday dinners as well, and then heated up the water for the dishes after that!!



Take Six is now on Facebook. We would love for you to add us as your friend!!

Joining "Making the World Cuter Monday!"

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Feathered Next Friday

Summer Sales @ Stuff & Nonsense

13 comments:

  1. Seems like it was a pretty good day!!!

    Tan, that pattern you are collecting up, with the gold around the edges...do I have a piece of that...either Grammie's or Aunt Muriel's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, you scored big while out shopping. I wish we had places like that here. Those dishes you found with the wide gold band, they look very very similar to dishes my grandmother had....unfortunately they are not still with me. Don't know what happened there. That blue teacup is gorgeous! xo,

    ReplyDelete
  3. That stove is amazing! Sure bet it was hard to leave it behind :) Hi! I'm your newest follower from the Monday hop. I hope you'll come visit me and follow me back at http://mommychosis.blogspot.com

    Thanks and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It positively GRIEVES me that I haven't been able to go antiquing in such a long time. What a fun outing for all involved. I love those double-ended egg cups. Hmmmm....I think I may need these. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made some great finds...I love teacups, too, but I prefer coffee..Ha! Love that stove!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice! Sounds like a great day! So shocked that your fav color is RED! aha love your blog girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Cute blog!! :) I am your newest follower! I will definitely be keeping an eye on your blog to learn new things!! If you would like to take a look at my blog that would be wonderful and follow me back! For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com Look out for some giveaways also like mineral make-up. I am new to this but excited to share ideas on yummy food!
    Thanks,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your finds, especially the vintage plates and old ornaments!
    Thanks for sharing.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a perfect day and you found some lovely treasures! I'm envious of those skates! *winks* Vanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great finds!! The ornaments are darling~ thanks for sharing at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic finds and how I would love a stove like that in my Kitchen!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. what awesome finds...i have a bit of a china fixation so i love the pieces you got...thanks for sharing at stuff and nonsense!

    alison

    ReplyDelete

It makes our day to hear from all of our Take Six friends. We read each and every comment, and love it when you visit us!! If you ask us a question we will answer it as a 'reply' in the comment section, so be sure and check back! XO

Pin It button on image hover